The Pirate Log

The Student News Site of Poteau High School

The Pirate Log

The Pirate Log

Hit and Steal!
Hit and Steal!
April 1, 2024

Meet Your 2024 Mr. PHS

Ameria Daugherty

Poteau High School just had the annual Mr. PHS competition. This competition has been around for quite some time, even with the breaks in between due to Covid. Back in 2014 , Art Club decided to pick it back up again.Art teacher Ms. Hopper here at Poteau High School shares what inspired her to bring this competition back to life. “I saw Carl Albert’s all-male pageant and thought about how much fun it could be at PHS to start again,” This year your 2024 Mr. PHS is  Senior Bradley Jager. “I chose to do Mr. PHS because I really enjoy getting to do stupid things and goof off.” When coming to Poteau, Bradley had set a goal for himself to become involved here at Poteau High School, and winning Mr. PHS helped him achieve that. “Winning Mr. PHS was the point where I first felt like I had finally become a part of this school.” Everyone who competed prepared in numerous ways to entertain the audience with their humor.  Sophomore Dallas Roberts, who received the “Crowd Pleaser Award” and third place, prepared in many ways for this competition. “Me being prepared was listening to “Lose Yourself” by Eminem on the way.” Even Ms. Hopper has ways that she prepares for the competition as the coordinator. “My favorite part of preparing is being nervous that the boys won’t want to be funny, but they always surprise me.” Along with the preparation, everyone had their favorite moments that they enjoyed from the competition. Bradley tells us that performing with his friends on stage was the highlight of the competition. “Dancing with KJ and Chris was absolutely a highlight and I’d do it again.” Dallas also adds, “My favorite part was the lip sync but me and my crew did a little dance.” We want to congratulate our winners and everyone who participated in the competition. Next year, we hope to see even more students competing in Mr. PHS.